Sunday, January 22, 2012

RWANDA: 'I Cannot Rise and Fall'—President Kagame

President Paul Kagame has just told the Rwanda leadership fellowship that he will not rise and fall Saying, “I cannot rise and fall. I am not going to fall. It’s not because anybody is reminding me about it.”

President Kagame was discussing leadership excellence at a gathering of dozens of the country’s leadership cream at Kigali Serena Hotel.
Every other day journalists are asking me when am leaving office. “If you think it’s right to not overstay in power, why don’t you think I don’t think its right. It’s because I don’t need to get any lessons from them (journalists).”
Kagame said he gets irritated by such questions from media, “although I am not supposed to be irritated because of my leadership position, I am supposed to manage it and absorb it although sometimes I fail.”
The reasons other leaders use to say why they won’t leave power is the same reason I use to say I will leave power.
The President explained that in what a leader has done, "they should have mentored people into potential leaders for the future? If I fail to mentor future leaders during my term then I have to leave power."
"This means what would follow after my leadership is what they deserve. I would leave them to get what they deserve," Kagame noted.
In a seemingly indirect response to the recently released French report on the shooting down of Habyarimana plane in 1994, the president said he wasn’t happy with the excitement that filled many Rwandans after the report findings were made public.
“I don’t accept Rwanda or Africa to always sit and wait to be judged and defined by outside people-The same people who are so deeply involved in the problems of Rwanda, our neighbours and Africa.”
Kagame explained that Rwandans need to expand ‘our understanding and we need to grow and develop our resolve to stand-up to these challenges.’
“I don’t accept that the lives of Rwandans. My own life, Should be defined and managed by others other than ourselves.”
"When do Rwandans and Africans stand-up to define themselves. Do the right thing because it’s right not because someone is telling you. Why do you get involved in corruption until somebody starts shouting about it?,"Kagame incquired.
"Why should we mismanage ourselves and wait for somebody to shout about it before taking action?"
President Kagame also told the leaders that he often receives comments on Twitter from many people he doesn’t even know from all parts of the world who say they like Rwanda.
“Mr. President we have been in Rwanda. We appreciate the roads and good people. However, Customer care needs to be improved. This will never end by prayer. It will end by dealing with the problem head-on. Demand good service and give good service to people. This must become a culture.”
The president cited the recent Hotel Grading published on IGIHE.com saying the poor grades reflected the value of customer care in most of the hotels that received very few or no stars, “You may refuse to listen and consequences will come and hit you.”

Source: Igihe.com, Published on 15-01-2012 - at 05:44'

No comments:

Post a Comment