Sunday, January 22, 2012

RWANDA: Kagame Reaffirms No Intension For Third Term

In a recent speech while addressing Rwanda leaders Fellowship Forum on a thanks giving day, President Paul Kagame reaffirmed that he has no intention to run for third term.
Rwandan Constitution provides that any Presidential candidate will run for presidency for two terms of seven years.
Of recent, lots of doubts had emerged if President Kagame will not change the constitution to run for third term.
It was also announced by the current Minister of internal security Sheikh Musa Fazil Harerimana who publicly suggested that Rwandan constitution so as to allow Kagame run for the third term.
“If you think it is right to not over stay in power, why do you think I don’t think it is right,” Kagame said.
“I cannot rise and fall I am not going to fall and it is not because anybody is reminding me about it, it is not because every other day these journalists ask me when you are leaving the office,” Kagame added.
Kagame said that excuses given by leaders that have overstayed in power are the ones he will use to surrender the power.
“In excellent leadership, some of the things to be considered is evaluating what you have done in your term of leadership of let say ten or twenty years, your leadership should have groomed people into good leaders of whom a successor can be identified, therefore if there is no one to succeed me then it simply means that I am bad leader,” Kagame said.
“Therefore if I failed to groom leaders, that is a reason to make me not to stay in power. I cannot continue leadership after completing my term yet I have failed to groom other leaders,”
Kagame also referred to proper leadership which must move from theories to practical leadership which brings results towards development.
He said that however much many will take time to listen to presentations and speeches and one does not put into practice what he/she has learnt then it all turns into poor leadership.

Source: IGIHE.com, Published on 18-01-2012 - at 04:48'

No comments:

Post a Comment